Another Jf-17 with canard modification. Posted an earlier here. Canard is the French word for duck. Some of the early canard designs bore a strange resemblance to their namesakes. Oddly enough, canard in English means a gross exaggeration or hyperbole.
Advantages of Canards :
- Possibility for very good stalling characteristics without elevator
- Sometimes a desirable layout from the packaging standpoint: Main wing
carry-through behind cabin, pusher engine installation simplified.
- Synergistic use of winglets for directional stability.
- In certain cases a simplified control linkage is possible.
- When wing flaps are not desired (for simplicity as in ultralights, or
competition rules as with standard class sailplanes for example) the CLmax
of a canard may exceed that of an aft-tail airplane.
- For unstable aircraft, canard designs may have a CLmax and/or drag
- Control authority is larger for unstable canard aircraft at high CL than for unstable aft-tail designs.